Quilts with Words
Each year the Program Committee comes up with a challenge for members to enter and devotes the July meeting to viewing member's entries.
In a typical year, the Challenge entries are viewed and voted on by the members at the Guild meeting in July. Since the Pandemic-related restrictions prevent us from meeting indoors, the Program Committee has decided to postpone viewing of the 2019-2020 Challenge quilts until the Guild can meet again in person. The Committee has also developed a new Challenge for 2020-2021. Details will be available soon.
QUILTS WITH WORDS: Challenge Guidelines
For this year’s Challenge, you will enter a quilt featuring WORDS. There are many ways to use words on quilts. They can be added with quilting, appliqué, embroidery, piecing, painting, printing, or other media, or they can be pre-printed on the fabric."
There are two categories: SMALL quilt, with no side longer than 40”, and LARGE quilt, with at least one side longer than 40”. (Example: a table runner measuring 20” x 60” would be a large quilt.)
Here are the rules:
1. The quilt must FEATURE words. One or more words must be an essential design element.
2. The quilt must be your own work, not purchased or received as a gift or inheritance.
3. The quilt must be quilted, bound, and labeled.
4. The label must include the following:
year of completion
name of designer* (if not you)
name of quilter (if not you)
5. It must be entered in the correct size category, as above.
6. You must be a paid member of the guild to enter.
*Designer name required if you have used a pattern or otherwise copied someone else’s design.
Each size category will have a Viewer’s Choice prize of $50. In the case of any ties within categories, the Program Committee will break the tie with one vote.